We Are International: Join us to celebrate international students in the UK
2 March 2015
Last year, over 500,000 international students from 200 countries studied at UK schools, colleges and universities, and a further 600,000 students came to the UK to study English.
In fact, at UK higher education campuses, close to 18% of students and 25% of academics and professors are from outside the UK!
Education UK has teamed up with Universities UK and NUS to celebrate the UK's vibrant international student community. This is your chance to share your stories of living and studying in the UK with an audience of thousands worldwide!
International students make a huge contribution to the UK. We want to celebrate this and showcase the inspiring experiences you're having at UK schools, colleges and universities.
Share your story!
We're encouraging you, the UK's international students and alumni, to share your stories. To get involved, look out for some of our questions on social media and post your answers with the hashtag #WeAreInternational:
- What inspired your choice to study in the UK?
- What does being an international student here mean to you?
- Why did you choose the course that you’re studying?
- How will you apply the skills you’ve learned, after your course has finished?
- How has studying in the UK improved your career prospects?
- Has your perception of the UK changed since you first arrived?
- What have you learnt about yourself while studying in the UK?
- What advice would you give to other international students who are thinking of studying in the UK?
- What has been the highlight of your student life so far?
- Tell us the funniest (or weirdest) joke you’ve heard while living in the UK!
- What three words would you use to describe the UK's food/music/fashion/weather?
- What’s your proudest achievement from studying in the UK so far?
- Share your photos of the best place you’ve visited in the UK... We want to see your adventurous side!
Share your #WeAreInternational selfie by:
- Taking a photo of yourself with your international friends
- Uploading it to Instagram or Twitter, tagging @educationuk and including the #WeAreInternational hashtag
- Tagging your UK institution in the photo if possible, and tagging a friend to nominate them
- Including the caption: "I am studying at a UK institution because… [@tag your friend] show me your #WeAreInternational selfie!"
Or, if you're feeling even more creative, you could upload your statement as a short (15 seconds or less) Instagram video!
Spread the word
Tell all your friends to get involved and share their stories too!
Check out some of the latest tweets and posts here:
Find out more about the UK's international student community here:
Join an international student community in the UK