Support and welfare

Group of students talking to a support officer at the University of Huddersfield

UK schools, colleges and universities take student welfare very seriously. If you need help, don't be shy or worried that you will cause a problem – make sure you ask for help. Your teachers and staff want to make sure you are safe and happy.

  • Many schools, colleges and universities employ a Student Welfare Officer, and some have a dedicated International Student Officer. Ask them for advice if you are having any problems. Alternatively, try your Students’ Union if there is one on your campus.

  • For concerns about your course and exams, speak to your teachers and tutors. They may be able to give you guidance on other matters too.

  • At a UK boarding school (a residential school for pupils up to the age of 18) you will find an excellent level of care. Most schools have a dedicated house master or mistress, plus a resident nurse, who looks after your wellbeing.

  • To help you settle in when you first arrive, most schools, colleges and universities run an orientation programme to help you make friends and get to know your new campus and city.

  • There are many counselling services and charities dedicated to helping young people suffering from stress or anxiety – read our article on Coping with stress and homesickness.

  • The National Union of Students is the national voice of students. Visit their website to see what guidance and support they can offer you.

  • The UK Council for International Student Affairs promotes and protects the needs of international students in the UK. Their website has lots of useful advice, and they also have a telephone line.