Perfect your English
Did you know that the UK is the number one destination worldwide for English language study? (Study Travel Magazine, December 2012).
Each year, an estimated 600,000 students from around the world come to England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales to do an English language course. Many more come to study another subject too – such as Business, Maths, Engineering, Medicine or Fashion – knowing that their English language skills will improve at the same time.
- Courses for all ages and abilities: It is thought that the UK has more English language courses than any other country. Come to the UK and you can learn English for your career, for educational purposes, or for fun. You can also study English with another subject at the same time.
- Inspiring teaching and learning: In the UK, English language learning is about having fun and taking part. Instead of just listening to your teacher, your classes will involve games, problem-solving and discussions. You might also listen to songs, watch TV or read magazines to practise your comprehension skills. In fact, it might not even feel like work at all!
- Quality assured: Accredited UK English language centres are regularly inspected by government-approved bodies to ensure high standards of teaching, accommodation, welfare support and facilities. Find out how to find an accredited centre in Learn English.
- The home of the English language: When you explore the UK you'll be surrounded by native speakers – plus English-language media, such as TV and newspapers – so you can practise using the language in real-life situations. You should find that your skills improve enormously in a short time. You might even start dreaming in English after a few days!
- Prepare for your future: English language skills are valued by employers, universities and colleges worldwide, and are a powerful tool in thousands of careers. Improving your English is a great investment in your future. There are lots of business English courses, plus courses to prepare you for higher education.
- A unique cultural experience: Learning English in the UK is an opportunity to make new friends from around the world, discover the UK’s culture and history, and explore beautiful countryside and cities.
- A world-class education: Recent figures show that 85% of international undergraduates in the UK would recommend or actively recommend their UK study experience – a higher proportion than any other major English-speaking destinations!
What's it like learning English in the UK?
In this short film, three students from Spain, South Korea and Russia talk about their time studying English in the UK:
Find out more
Go to the Learn English section for more information about English language courses, qualifications, costs and scholarships in the UK.