Home » Practical advice » Essential contacts

Essential contacts

Two students reading from a directory in Manchester city centre

Resources for international students

  • Around the world, the British Council offers services and events for students interested in a UK education. Find your local British Council office, contact us by email or look for events near you.
  • The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) promotes and protects the needs of international students in the UK. The UKCISA website has extensive advice on fees and funding, student visas, working while studying, bringing your family and more. For detailed individual advice you can also call UKCISA's telephone advice line
  • If your school, college or university has a Students’ Union, you will find support on issues such as finances, accommodation and healthcare there. Most Student Unions are members of the National Union of Students (NUS), which supports students’ rights in the UK, and offers services including a student discount card.
  • For information on Scottish universities and advice about living and studying in Scotland, visit Study in Scotland.


  • Visas to live and study in the UK are managed by UK Visas and Immigration. Visit this website to find out about the different types of visa, whether you need one and how to apply.
  • If you have problems with your visa or passport while you’re in the UK (for example, if your passport is lost or stolen) contact your country’s embassy, high commission or consulate. The UK government website lists all Embassies and High Commissions in London (PDF, 1.13MB), and all Consular Offices outside London (PDF, 104KB).
  • The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) provides very clear and up-to-date advice on visas for international students.

Understanding the UK education system and qualifications

Finding a course

Search and browse through thousands of courses at UK schools, colleges and universities with the Search tool at the top of this page.

Other resources are:

Applying for a course

For most courses, you will need to apply directly to your chosen school, college or university. Contact the institution for details – you can do this by clicking the Uni/college/school button at the top of this page, searching for the institution’s name, then clicking Send an email.

For undergraduate and some postgraduate courses, you can apply through a central admissions system:

Scholarships and funding

Search for scholarships, bursaries, funding and fellowships by clicking the Scholarships button at the top of this page, or find out more in our Scholarships article.

Discovering the UK

To find out more about the UK’s tourist attractions and events, please visit:


Your questions answered

Still have questions about studying in the UK? Contact the British Council in your country, or join the Education UK community on Facebook and Twitter, or get our free monthly newsletter for the latest news, events and scholarships – click here to sign up and tick 'I'd like to receive newsletters'.

Agents, institutions, advertisers and press

If you are an education agent or adviser, a member of the media, or you work for a UK school, college or university, click here for our contact details.